RICHARD FLECK CBE
Candidate for election as Sheriff, 2018/2019
Richard Fleck, a partner since 1980, is now a consultant with Herbert Smith Freehills and Immediate Past Master of the Tallow Chandlers Company.
Richard was born into a naval family in 1949, educated at Marlborough College, where he was subsequently a Governor for 16 years and remains a trustee of the College’s Foundation and charitable trusts. He graduated from Southampton University in law.
Richard joined Herbert Smith in March 1971 and was admitted as a solicitor in 1973. His practice embraced international corporate transactions, dispute resolution and competition and regulation. He was the relationship partner for a significant number of key clients. He was named a “Top 100” lawyer five times in the USA which reflected his international expertise and nature of his work for clients.
His partnership roles included developing and implementing the internationalisation of the Firm between 1997 and 2005 – including negotiating joint ventures with lawyers in Europe and North America and opening offices overseas, including in Japan, Russia and the Middle East. He was Herbert Smith’s Global Relationship Partner between 2005 and 2009.
Richard’s external business activities have been extensive and included
- Experience of corporate and financial reporting through his involvement as director of the Financial Reporting Council and Chair of the Financial Reporting Review Panel.
- Working extensively during his time with the Financial Reporting Council with Government throughout the UK and European investigations into the causes of the 2007/2008 financial crisis, and the negotiations over the form and content of the legislation subsequently introduced, including the European Regulation and Directive.
- Directorships of the National Audit Office (2009–2012), the Natural Capital Coalition (2012-present), and The Incorporated Council of Law Reporting (2012-present).
- Appointment by the Bank of England as an Inspector under the Banking Act.
- Deputy Chairman, the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants (2015-present)
Richard was awarded the CBE for services to business and the law in HM The Queen’s New Year Honours List 2009.
Richard joined the Worshipful Company of Tallow Chandlers in 1976 and became a Liveryman in 1980. He was Master in 2016/17. He is also a Freeman of the City of London Solicitors’ Company. He is a member of the City Livery Club, and the Vintry and Dowgate Wards Club. He is a member of the Committee for the Lord Mayor’s Big Curry Lunch.
Richard has had a long-standing involvement with education, the arts and projects involving children and young people:
- Chairman of the London Adventure Playground Association (1973 – 1994) which was responsible for 48 adventure playgrounds across Greater London;
- Founder and Governor of Marlborough College Malaysia, a school for over 800 children in Johor;
- Chairman of the Holburne Museum, Bath (2012-16) and a member of the Council, Salisbury Cathedral (2012-17).
Richard married Mary, a textile designer, in 1983. They live in Wiltshire and have two children, Sara (30) and Peter (27). His other interests include sailing, skiing, golf and real tennis.